Cola Chicken is a popular dish in Asia prepared with chicken and cola as main ingredients. I tried it with both diet and regular coke and I liked both. the picture is prepared with diet coke, which explains that the colour is a bit pale compared to when regular coke is used.
This recipe is based on Omnivore’s Cookbook‘s recipe, the only ingredients that I have changed are by using diet coke instead of regular coke and by using chicken thighs instead of chicken wings. After trying to make this with both types of chicken, I recommend to use chicken wings for this dish or to cut the chicken thigh fillet into smaller pieces. The chicken wings version has much more taste than the chicken thigh fillet version in the above picture. Anyways below is the recipe and I hope that you will enjoy cooking this ^^!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 16 chicken wings (In the above picture, I used 380 grams chicken thigh fillet, but I recommend to use chicken wings as it's tastier.)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 dried sichuan pepper
- 1/2 scallion
- 2 slices of Ginger
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing Wine
- 1 can Diet or regular coke
- 1 tsp salt
- Chopped green onion for garnish
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat and add chicken wings. Grill until the bottom side of both sides turns golden brown (each side should take 3-4 minutes). Stop heat and transfer chicken wings to a plate along with oil and set aside.
- Heat another wok or pan over medium high heat and add 2 tbsp oil from the chicken wing. Turn to medium heat and add chilli pepper and cook until it's dark. Add scallions and ginger and stir until fragrant. Add light soy sauce, shaoxing wine, cola and gently stir a few times. Add the chicken wings and stir a few times in order to coat the wings with sauce.
- Once the sauce starts to boil, turn it to low heat and simmer for 20 minutes. You should stir with a spatula 2-3 times in the first 15 minutes to avoid burning on the bottom. The burning will happen faster when you use regular coke. Add salt when the sauce thickens. Stir frequently once the sauce has reduced to a third of the original amount. You may stop the heat, once the sauce becomes very thick and coats the wings well. If the sauce is still thin after 20 minutes, turn to medium heat to thicken the sauce. During this last step, it is important to stay near the pan so it will not burn. Enjoy it with rice or noodles ^^!
For my other meat dishes, click here!
I hope that you will give this Cola Chicken recipe a try! If you do, take a picture and tag me on @angiesrecipereview in your feed or stories and I will share your creations on my story.
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you want to stay connected, follow @angiesrecipereview on Instagram or my Pinterest account.
Submit your review